Jesus, thank you!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Purity Meditations & Television Rantings

Matt. 5:8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

The greek word behind pure in this verse is katharos, which means clean and clear. To see God in all things, my heart must be clear of deceit, malice, envy, lust, pride, and everything else that isn't holy. How practically can I go about purifying my heart?

Matt. 6:22 “The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light.

I believe this with all of my heart. The most effective tool of satan in american culture, and the greatest enemy of spiritual growth is television. Many people who profess Christ spend more time filling their minds with the garbage that comes from television than they do in the word; then they wonder why they do not have any hunger and desire for God. People simply can't imagine life without T.V. Satan can use what appears to be an innocent commercial to plant covetousness and all sorts of other types of evil in our hearts. It's scary to me how caught up people are in the media, and how naive those who profess Christ are. I believe the American church would experience a revival larger than anything we've ever seen if Christians would turn off the Television. Why? Because, if the eye is clear, the whole body is full of light. Since when do we use the world's rating system with the movies we watch? We hear, "well, it hardly had any language in it, and didn't have any sex scenes", but then we overlook the fact that whether or not the details were shown, Johnny and Suzy are in the sack after the first date, or some woman is having an affair with a man she isn't married to. This is what entertains us? This is what we find pleasure in? This is what we spend two hour period after two hour period putting into our minds? Many have the attitude that they are above being effected, after all they know what's right. That way of thinking is simply not biblical. What goes into my mind shapes my life "period".

Prov. 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

If my desire is to become pure, I must guard what comes into my mind. May my single passion, my single vision be the God who created me.

Posted by Jeremy Turner :: 8:54 AM :: 2 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------