Jesus, thank you!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sermon On The Mount: Mourners

In vs. 4 Jesus speaks of people who mourn. The word mourn in this verse means to be grieved. Happy are those who are sad? Those who are grieved on earth are recipients of the comforting power of the holy spirit. Christians should be the most heavy hearted people. Not in the sense that we walk around down and depressed, but a heavy heartedness that is produced in us by seeing things the way they are. A heavy heartedness that will make us sober. Look at what peter says.

1Pet. 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

He doesn't give us certain times of the day or week to be sober-minded, he just says to be sober. What is the reason he gives for being sober? The end of all things is at hand. Life here is not for our enjoyment. If my purpose is primarily to enjoy life, I will neglect walking with God, because spiritual warfare is simply not enjoyable! I envy Paul's single-mindedness:

Gal. 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

God's gift of earthly life does not have an experimental nature. He has a purpose for those he calls. We must not be centered around finding pleasure in the things we can see. What are some things that I find myself putting the battle on hold to do? What are some things that I have to completely let my guard down to take part in? May I remember that the enemy never takes breaks. When I am at ease, I will surely be attacked. Lord keep my heart heavy for you glory.

Posted by Jeremy Turner :: 6:40 AM :: 3 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------