Jesus, thank you!

Friday, December 02, 2005

The Disciplined Minded Disciple (Intentionality)

Phi 2:5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus...

In the Word, there are all sorts of ways we are told to alter our state of mind. In this chapter, I believe Paul is telling the Philippians to be intentional (or to have intentionality, Heather). Making an effort to renew their minds was something they could do immediately upon reading Paul’s instruction. In fact, change would have to take place in their minds, before their actions would be affected. In this chapter, “Have this mind”, to me is kind of like saying, “take all that I’ve said, and actually do something with it!”

Sometimes I ask the Lord if he will help me to stay on track and stay focused on Him throughout a particular day. Sometimes I even beg Him, but somewhere along the line a distraction, usually pretty small changes my state of mind. To do all that Paul is teaching here takes some heavy discipline, and it’s pretty obvious that a disciplined mind must precede disciplined behavior. A man who cannot exercise self control over his mind, should not be expected to in his actions. I think at times, we expect God to, “for his glory”, miraculously change the way we do things (sometimes I think my prayers are more effective if I use phrases such as “for your glory”, or a host of other things. It’s kind of silly if you think about it. Lord, please give me this new house...uh... for your glory!!). Anyway, God does mold us, but he has chosen to do it through our discipline. I could say, “God must put the desire in me to read his word”, and that would be a true statement, but if I expect him to make me want his word like a kid wants an ice cream cone, I will never read it! If I do, however, read the bible no matter how I “feel”, it was God all along giving me the desire to do so. Every biblical mindset is already ours in Christ Jesus. The battle is believing it. --All in light of the Cross.


Posted by Jeremy Turner :: 7:07 AM :: 6 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------