Jesus, thank you!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Sharing Our Attention with Others

Every one, to some extent, must look out for themselves. If you don’t pay attention to how you walk, you’re going to stumble, if you don’t eat you will starve, if you don’t get dressed, you’re going to get arrested :), if you don’t look in the mirror, you’re going to look sloppy, If you don’t take a shower your going to smell like Oscar the Grouch. If you don’t think before you speak, you’re going to make a fool out of yourself, if you don’t meditate upon scripture, you’re going to lose your grip on reality, if you don’t work, you’ll be poor (well, in our country, who knows?) We obviously have to pay close attention to ourselves.

Phi 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

While I must pay close attention to what goes on with me, I must also give attention to those I know. Some of the areas that I struggle in are as follows: I find it a hard to give equal attention to journals other than mine. It is truly a struggle to make sure I am examining what others are writing. In Care Group, I struggle with listening closely to what others offer in discussion. Often times I am too busy putting together the next thought I want to express. Too many times we are more concerned about being heard than hearing what others say. When it comes to walking with the Lord, do I care for others as I do myself? Am I concerned with their joy as much as I am my own? Ever heard this one? “So and So hurt my feelings!” This is most likely a sign of you putting your interest before the interests of others. We need to examine ourselves when we are easily offended. When this verse affects you, you will be on your way to having the strength to forgive anything. Of course, this all means nothing without the cross as its backdrop.

I want to give a quick example of someone in my life, whom I’ve noticed consistently putting others before themselves. Jay & Michelle Harrison have welcomed visitors on Thursday evenings for who knows how long now. It doesn't stop there either. From cooking, to cleaning & straightening up, to planning, to purchases both large and small for our enjoyment, they have put our interests before their own and it's just another evidence of grace at work in them. I can think of some others, but I will stop there.

If you want to practice this concept, look to the ultimate example, the Man who made this possible.

2Co 5:21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

How did the Savior put our interests before His? The ultimate instance was obviously the cross, but this mentality was shown in absolutely everything he did. Because he was perfect, on His merits we have been made perfect in the sight of the father, and I have great hope that Christ inside of me will produce Philippians 2 humility!

Posted by Jeremy Turner :: 9:05 AM :: 6 comments

Post a Comment

-------------------------------------